You’re all set to take America by storm. Soon you’ll be in the land where dreams come true, and you couldn’t be more thrilled. While you plan on booking your flight, the feeling of leaving your homeland behind has started to set in.
You’re dreading that you won’t be able to devour the unique dishes your mother prepares for quite some time. So, we wouldn’t blame you if you were planning to take the aromas of your home along with you to America.
To help you pack well, we’ve put together a list of food items that can be brought along while flying to the US:
- Spices and Condiments: Most dried spices such as sambar powder or garam masala are allowed in unopened and commercially labeled packages. If carrying homemade spices, it is advisable to pack them in airtight containers
- Tea and Coffee: Indian travelers can bring along tea leaves and roasted coffee beans through any of the US ports of entry
- Nuts: Indian snacks or sweets containing peanuts or other nuts are allowed as long as they have been pureed, steamed, roasted, cooked, over dried, boiled, or ground
- Milk and Dairy Products: Well-packaged butter and cheese and homemade sweets are permissible but not advisable
- Fish and Seafood: Small quantities of canned, frozen, dried, or smoked fish and seafood for personal consumption are allowed
- Pickles and Ready mixes: Unopened, commercially packed Indian pickles, ready mixes such as dosa batter and ready-made chicken masalas are allowed.
- Sweets and Snacks: Packaged dry Indian sweets and snacks; chocolates; Candies and Baked Items: Cakes, cookies, candies, and other baked products are allowed
Remember: While all of these are permissible, there might as well be a chance where you're asked for further inspection. Fret not! Simply answer all customs officers' questions about their origin and packaging.
If you're not planning to take any food items with you and are looking for alternatives, there are plenty! To name a few: Apna Bazaar, Patel Brothers, Bombay Bazaar, Bombay Market, Desi Brothers are widely popular in the US, and you can find folks shopping from there - all the time!
Cherry on top, Zolve gives you 5% cash back on any 5 brands of your choice (including all the Indian brands mentioned above) and literally 1% off on every other transaction!
Apply for a Zolve Credit Card today and make your spends, way smarter.
Wanna read up more about some surprising things you can and can not carry in flight? Here's more.