If you are moving to the U.S. soon, you will need to visit a U.S. embassy or consulate for your visa interview. Let's understand what purpose the embassy and consulates serve.
What is the U.S. Embassy and where is it headquartered in India?
The U.S. Embassy is the headquarters for U.S. Government representatives serving in India. It is led by an ambassador who the U.S. President appoints. The embassy is headquartered in Delhi in India, while Mumbai, Chennai, Calcutta and Hyderabad have U.S. Consulates.
What functions do the U.S. Embassy and Consulates perform?
- The primary purpose of the American embassy and consulates is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in India.
- U.S. Foreign Service officers interview citizens of India who wish to travel to the U.S.
- They report back to the U.S. government on the political and economic situation in India.
- They provide passports, birth registration and other services for visiting or resident American citizens in India.
- Consulates work with U.S. and foreign law enforcement agencies to combat international crime.
Where can I find an American Embassy and Consulate in India?
You can find them in the following cities:
Delhi (U.S. Embassy)
Chennai (US Consulate-General)
Hyderabad (US Consulate-General)
Kolkata (US Consulate-General)
Mumbai (US Consulate-General)
If you're moving to the U.S. soon, Zolve can give you a high-limit U.S. Credit Card and Bank Account, which you can sign up for from India itself. And you don't need an SSN to apply.